is a free multi-platform
application that stands alone and
helps to make authoring and publishing weblogs very easy. Like with
many other solutions, a blogging post from a third party, a web host
that is cgi/php enabled or a MySQl database is not required of
Thingamablog. All that you need to do to start, manage and blog is
SFTP, FTP or web server network access. Thingamablog is also a FTP
client for when you are ready to update or publish your blog. This
software is easy enough for anyone to use, but at that same time
sophisticated enough for more experienced bloggers to appreciate.
This software has been created to download quickly (less than 4MG for
the recent version 1.0.6.) in Windows, Linux, Zip format or source
code. Since thingamablog is coded in Java, you will need to have Java
Runtime Environment 1.4.2 installed. After the Java has been installed,
simply download the package you prefer, extract it and install by
following your operation system’s requirements.
Basic features of thingamablog include multiple blogging, the ability
to manage several blogs at one time, templates that can be customized
as well as find, delete and the edit functions. Other features that
many users enjoy with this application include spell-checker, defined
template tags for added users, entries and templates on local machine
and the one-button upload that takes you to a website.
- A great blog maker for a website.
- Simple and straightforward.
- Easy to set up within minutes. No script configuration to work
with or server-side databases.
- Great product for a dialup connection.
- Creates static pages. The articles or post are generated at the
very time you edit or create them.
- Able to import templates.
- You are allowed to create and have multiple blogs.
- Easy to manage thousands of entries.
- An entry can be saved as a draft.
- Entries can be written offline.
- Differently styled custom templates available.
- Entries can be organized by date or category.
- Creates RSS News Feeds for your site and individual news feeds
for each one of your categories.
- The initial setup of the program can be very tricky.
- Java has to first be installed.
- Cannot change the URLS of the articles entry page.
- Not able to disable the section of archives. There is no way to
change the program so individual archive pages are disabled.
- There is no place for visitors to leave comments because files
are not rewritable.
Thingamablog is not an interface where you create posts for your blog
remotely, like other interfaces. This software actually manages your
blog by controlling all codes and scripts. It is like an alternative to
wordpress. You create everything while you are offline and synchronize
it with the remote server.
Having a blog on a personal website can sometimes be difficult because
there is a database to take care off. Thingamablog is a solution to
this as it keeps information stored on a local computer and then
publishes or updates them as needed. This program has been written in
Java so it should run on any system that has the Java Routine
Environment on it. Creating a post is very easy and the toolbar has all
the formatting tools that may be needed.